Thursday, April 25, 2013

Faux Danseuse




Transcript: I’d known that my sister’s all-girl dance company had been practicing for months for an important dance competition, so when she came home from practice crying one afternoon, I knew that whatever it was, it had to do with the competition. I soon found out that Christina, one of their lead dancers, had sprained her ankle. With the competition just a few weeks away, there was no way she’d be able to recover in time. To make matters worse, there were also no other female dancers able to or available to fill her spot.


As a former elite dancer myself, I could definitely sympathize with what my sister was going through. I did my best to console her, telling her that maybe they would be able to find someone else and that if she wanted, I would do anything I could to help. She gave me a funny look right as I said that and asked if I really meant it. I told her I did; she was my sister after all. That’s when she dropped the bomb on me. She asked me to take Christina’s place.  


Now let’s get one thing straight, with my slender frame and angular face, I wasn’t exactly a man’s man, but I was no sissy either. I wasn’t about to put on some makeup, wear a tutu, and pretend to be a girl. Not that anyone would believe it either. I said no. Then, my sister pointed out that there would be hundreds of pretty girls at the competition and I of course knew what went on behind closed doors at an event like that. I actually didn’t, but I changed my mind and said yes anyways, provided that she prove to me that I could be made to pass as a girl first.

No sooner had the words left my mouth than had my sister gotten out her phone and called up several of her dance friends. They arrived with their makeup kits, hair styling products, and an extra dance costume in hand within minutes. Two hours later, I was convinced. The girls had worked wonders with their makeup brushes and the extensions they’d put into my hair looked completely natural. They’d shaved me completely from head to toe and one brave girl had even managed to completely hide away any evidence of my maleness behind some restrictive undergarments. I looked every inch the prim and proper girl that they were, so with that settled, we went to work.

Now today is the day of the competition and as you can see, things are going well, and we have our fingers crossed for a first place finish. Over the last few weeks, the girls and I have really bonded and it’s been so much fun that I found myself almost disappointed that it was about to come to an end. Apparently, so did the girls, as they have invited me to come back for another season. I told them I would have to think about it, I didn’t want them thinking that I was having too much fun getting dolled up with them, but I think we all know what my answer will be: yes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment and tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...